Established in 2008 by Alec Soth, Little Brown Mushroom (LBM) is committed to exploring the narrative potential of the photo book. Having worked closely with photographers, writers and designers, we’re now eager to exchange ideas with students and emerging artists.
Visual storytelling tends to be a lonely business. As such, it attracts more than its share of wallflowers. Here at LBM (home to more than a couple introverts), we thought it would be worthwhile to bring creative loners together to see what we can learn from each other. We’re envisioning a gathering that is more summer camp than classroom. After various daytime outings, we’ll sit around the digital projector and tell each other stories. From there we’ll discuss the ways in which visual stories can be translated into book form.
When: July 9-13, 2013
Where: After gathering each morning at the Little Brown Mushroom headquarters in St. Paul, we’ll have regular outings around the Twin Cities. Participants should have their own transportation. Housing is not provided.
Who: The gathering will be led by LBM team: Alec Soth, Carrie Thompson, Galen Fletcher, Ethan Jones, Brad Zellar and Jason Polan. We are inviting photographers, writers, illustrators, designers or anyone interested in visual storytelling to apply. While social awkwardness isn’t mandatory, it is encouraged.
How to apply:
Create a single PDF (no bigger than 5mb) with the following:
- Your name and contact information
- A concise and informal biography (age, where do you live, what do you do, etc). We’d also love to see a picture of you.
- Examples of your work (this can be photography, writing, illustration, graphic design or anything else you can get into a PDF).
- A link to your website or other work you have online
- Important: we can not accept PDF files larger than 5mb
Email the PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: April 15th. We will notify applicants about our selection by April 30th.